An Invitation to Apply for the Position of:
Coney Island Preparatory Public Charter School
Brooklyn, New York
About Coney Island Prep
Coney Island Preparatory Public Charter School is a rigorous, college preparatory school in South Brooklyn. We believe that every student deserves an opportunity to succeed in the college and career of their choice and accept no excuses in pursuit of this goal. Opened in August 2009, Coney Island Prep currently serves over 350 scholars in grades 5-8. The school will add an additional ninety 5th grade scholars every year until it grows to serve approximately 650 students in grades 5 – 12. On the 2011 – 2012 NYC DOE Progress Report, Coney Island Prep ranked in the top 6% of schools citywide, and has earned an A every year that is has been in operation.
What We Offer
A Well Rounded Program: In addition to a particular emphasis on the basics of reading, writing, and math, we believe in the power and necessity of a rich and varied school day for children, including Art, PE, Ethics, a range of enrichment classes and small group advisory sessions.
A Commitment to Serving the Students Who Need Us the Most: 82% of our scholars live in poverty, 23% are classified as students with special needs, and 13% are English Language Learners.
A Diverse Student Body: The diversity of our student body echoes the diversity of our neighborhood. In our middle school, 47% of our scholars are black or African American, 24% are Hispanic or Latino, 17% are white, and 10% are Asian.
An Entrepreneurial Culture: Our teachers have a significant hand in shaping our direction, both instructionally and culturally, and our expansion provides frequent opportunities for teachers to step up and take on leadership positions.
A Commitment to Professional Development: We have designed a comprehensive professional development program to ensure that all of our teachers receive the support and guidance they need to effectively support the learning of every student, including frequent observation with timely and relevant feedback.
The Office Manager serves as the primary point of contact between Coney Island Prep and its families and the community, offering strong support and administration of school protocols, procedures and culture. S/he will report to the Director of Operations.
Qualifications and Experience
- Passionate and completely dedicated to Coney Island Prep’s mission and the understanding that all students deserve preparation for the college of their choice.
- Bachelors degree.
- Ability to plan, prioritize, and organize work of self and others, especially for on-going tasks.
- Skilled in modern office methods and practices, including filing systems, databases and word processing and data management software (MS Office), letter writing, proofreading and standard office equipment operation.
- Ability to communicate accurately, effectively, and courteously, both orally and in writing, with a diverse audience, often under busy and/or difficult situations.
- Fluency in Chinese, Spanish or Russian a plus.
- Greet families and interact with them professionally and respectfully. Handle family concerns and questions in a prompt and appropriate manner.
- Perform administrative duties such as filing, copying, faxing, emailing, typing schedules, letters, answering phones, delivering messages, and maintaining the school calendar.
- Maintain and update student files in the areas of academics, personal contact information, health and emergency information, and parental permission, using the school database.
- Call home when students are tardy or absent on a daily basis; track attendance and tardiness of students.
- Receive, store and issue supplies for the school office.
- Receive, sort and route mail.
- Assist families with the purchasing of uniforms and any other uniform issues.
- Assist with breakfast, lunch, and snack distribution.
- Assist in the collection of documentation from teachers, including, student paperwork, CI Prep student money, and other frequently collected paperwork.
- Assist teachers with family communication when students fail to meet behavior standards or miss homework assignments.
- Coordinate home visit process (schedule, send reminders, gather materials teachers will need ahead of time and place them in folders).
- Process transfer paperwork for students that leave and make sure to note attrition reasons
- Assist with student application and enrollment, including communicating with prospective new parents and assisting in the organization of the lottery
- Assist nurse consultants and perform basic nurse responsibilities when needed.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Help organize and attend key schedule meetings and school activities.
- Track homework completion and student behavior using the Coney Island Prep behavior management database.
- Perform other related duties as required and assigned.
- As a regular full time employee of Coney Island Prep School, you will be eligible for benefits that include medical, dental and vision, as well as a generous retirement benefit package.
- Salary is highly competitive and commensurate with experience.
Start Date: May 2013
How to Apply
Interested applicants should go to https://coneyisland.schoolrecruiter.net/Index.aspx to complete the online application. Coney Island Preparatory Public Charter School is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, national origin, citizenship or disability.
323 total views, 11 today